Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Rocks: The importance of a few rocks and other things in your life

Bouldering in the Black Hills, South Dakota

Big week my fellow blog enthusiasts, Hashimoto's and Autoimmune warriors and loved ones also in the battle...I started a new hobby this week....BOULDERING! This can be a strenuous and extreme, fulfilling and challenging sport and it had me in it's grips from the moment I put on those uncomfortable climbers shoes.

My rock climbing rocks with me. Happy anniversary to us this week!
I love you, my Clayton!

I know starting anything new can be a daunting thought
when you are battling.

I'm no different. Bouldering is something I've been wanting to pick up and do and five month ago, I would've told you this probably wasn't looking like it could happen for me...EVER. I've always been active and my drive to succeed far outweighs almost anything...except when I was having my last Hashimoto's flare and my need to sleep won over everything. So just how do I get from barely being able to get out of bed to conquering a boulder with my physique and wits? Lots of research and understanding about how Hashimoto's people might not be able to utilize the nutrients you are fueling your body with. I started with an open mind about what the experts know and don't know about this autoimmune condition and the reality is that there are LOTS of contradicting evidence out there. If you are new to the journey, my advice is to realize that this condition is so personalized that it can take people decades to get a diagnosis...and I'm one of those people! With this in mind, remember to be open to try different things, think scientifically about yourself as a machine and fuel up as you should.

I'll save the HEY YOU NEED TO GO GLUTEN FREE for another time, Hashimoto's warrior. Today, we are talking about the importance of healing from the inside out and supplementing your diet with vitamins and minerals to benefit your immune system, assist your body in metabolism (now that something that we always battle) and vitamins to help your nervous system, including your brain, to function better.
Here's my personal arsenal ... seems daunting but after I researched
each and every one of the beauties I was sold on
popping pills or mixing cocktails up for my well being to make 
my day to day living easier.


  • Selenium: This element can be found in a variety of food including fish and Brazil nuts. People with thyroid problems, weakened immune systems and depression patients have all been found to be low in selenium. If you battle allergies or endocrine system problems, look into having your selenium levels tested.
  • Tyrosine: This amino acid is critical to the nervous system and helps clear up any anxiety issues or brain fog that might be putting a veil over your world. Tyrosine is essential for helping you with how you perceive and interact with your environment. Addition of this amino acid has been helped to reduce chronic fatigue, depression and other symptoms.
  • Zinc: If you are in a high risk category, like having Crohn's disease or other digestive or immune conditions, you need to take a look at this often overlooked mineral. Zinc aids in fighting infections, cell division and cell turnover to heal wounds.
  • Vitamin E: This vitamin plays a vital role in a healthy immune system. It aids the body in regulating vitamin A. Vitamin E is an antioxidant which means it protects your good cells from harmful and damaging free radicals while you are healing. It's also fantastic for hair and nails...both of those are problem areas for Thyroid people.
  • Vitamin C: Otherwise also known as L-ascorbic acid, this wonderful stuff boosts your immune system, supports good gut bacteria, combats stress and lowers high cholesterol among other benefits.
  • Tumeric: Part of traditional Ayurvedic medicine, Tumeric aids in inflammation and adrenal gland stimulator. Personally, this stuff has made all the difference in the world with my chronic pain and inflammation and allowed me to perform my exercise routine pain free, a feat I hadn't been able to enjoy for nearly a decade.
  • Thytrophin PMG: As with many medical routes, there is the inevitable controversy...welcome to Thytrophin PMG. I researched, talked to pharmacists and my personal healthcare team about the possibility of taking this hormone. I've got to say, I'm on month two of this supplement and I've had no side effects that I've noticed and I've got two week to blood work to see how this affected my system. Basically, this is being used as a decoy for my body to attack this instead of my thyroid. The medical field has actually recently documented the Thyroid gland repairing itself and regenerating just as the liver can. It just needs a little help to stop the onslaught of my amazing body kicking its' own butt. We needed a decoy until this vicious cycle can simmer down!
  • Probiotics: Gut health means making sure you carry around the thousands of little bacteria that are essential to healthy digestions. Not having the right balance means sleeplessness, depression, metabolism issues, anxiety issues, and many other problems that are easily solved by getting the right bugs into your system. Look into the many forms of probiotics.
  • Coconut Oil: It's not shown in the picture, but I enjoy the heck out of the this oil. It really has aided in healing my gut. I drink it in my coffee, my tea, I cook with it and I even use it as a skin moisturizer.
Ask your healthcare team to check any of these levels or look into the symptoms of deficiency yourself! Be proactive!
Staring up at those rocks, I was quietly nervous. I really have had many more days of good than bad and I know it can take upwards of two years to completely heal your insides from the damage your magnificent body can do to itself. I've been researching and adding elements to my health plan for five months. I've had to back off of my workouts because it became detrimental for me to do them. It was doing more harm than good at the time. I'm only up to two to three times a week in my workouts. Can I conquer these rocks? Will my brain be on point? How about my grip? There are times in life when you just breath, smile and begin to believe in your body again.
On my first day of bouldering, I took on some V4s and had a brilliant time enjoying the company of my life companion and best friend as we celebrated another year together.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment