Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Sunscreen for the rest of us: Recipe worth worshipping!


   I love being in the sun and I always have. Commercial sunscreen was called "tanning butter" when I was a kid. The people I idolized often used vegetable oil or baby oil to attract the sun's warmth, put themselves in generated light machines and were considered beauty....fast forward a few decades and we finally accept how harmful this is to our largest vital organ, our skin. More and more people are falling victim to Melanoma every year. And if you've been lucky enough to be diagnosed with an autoimmune condition like I have, just simply using deodorant or body lotion can wreak havoc on your endocrine system.
Faeryboop Friendly Sun Blocker
Available here....
   I've always been a huge proponent of max SPF sunscreen. Working as a lifeguard/instructor for an outdoor aquatic facility for over a decade, I always made darn sure my vital organ was covered. If not, the possibility of heat stroke, or exhaustion was a certainty. I wanted to use the sunscreen with the safest ingredients, but it just wasn't economically feasible.....until now!

I made my own SPF 45 WATERPROOF sunscreen with a few ingredients and about 30 minutes of my time. 
I'll tell you how to do it!

You can alter this recipe to your liking but here's what I did;
Gather up your ingredients
like beeswax, coconut oil and Shea butter

1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup aloe or almond oil or carrot seed oil
2 Tbsp.-1/4 cup beeswax
1-2Tbsp. Shea butter
1 tsp. vitamin E oil
2 Tbsp. zinc oxide powder*
15-20 drops of your favorite essential oil(s)

* You MUST buy Non-Nano Zinc Oxide Powder for the recipe to be considered endocrine system healthy. Besides, you get to look like this when you are brewing it up!
Take caution when using powered zinc oxide!
Breathing the dust is very harmful!
Step one: Combine the coconut oil, aloe, beeswax, vitamin E oil and Shea butter in a double boiler. No worries if you don't have one! I improved with a saucepan and a big stock pot of boiling water. Making sure the surrounding water doesn't get into your saucepan mix by holding it just within the water.


Homemade double boiler





















Step two: when the mix is well combined, remove from heat. Add essential oils and put on your mask!
Step three: While wearing your mask and brewing in a well ventilated area, add the zinc. Stir very well.

Step four: Pour in desired containers! Enjoy!

*****This sun block is amazing! It is long lasting, silky smooth and we love how we can customize it with our favorite ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment